2009-09-10

htc hero: My Tracks, cycling in Antwerp

I haven't blogged yet about my new phone running Android. I tried the My Tracks application again today, and it works flawlessly. Only the start is a bit slow, so you miss the first 100 meters of your trip. But that's normal for GPS applications I guess.

This My Tracks application can track via GPS where you go with the phone. I used it to create this Google map with my bicycle ride through Antwerp today.


View Cycling thru Antwerp in a larger map

I regularly tour the city like this. It brings back personal memories, and it proves to me again and again that Antwerp really is alive. (Check out Park Noord under the Noorderlaan for some cool live graffiti making!!)

Back to the phone... I like it! Integration with gmail and facebook works fine, battery lasts at least two days (even with lots of camera/filming and about two hours of gps usage). So I'll finish by mentioning the connectbot ssh application and the funny but useful flashlight app.

11 comments:

Goya said...

Ik wacht nog tot het eind van het jaar, maar dan koop ik hem voorwaar!

Anonymous said...

@paul Waar heb je hem gekocht en wat heb je hem betaald ?

@goya waarom wachten ?

Paul Cobbaut said...

Kris, Saturn in de stadsfeestzaal, net geen 450 euro.

Goya said...

Kris, omdat ik hem dan met de eindejaarspremieregeling van mijn werk BTW-vrij kan aankopen.

Goya said...

Grmbl, waarom worden .be domeinnamen regelmatig geweigerd als URL?

Paul Cobbaut said...

@goya:huh?
Worden .be namen geweigerd in de comments ?
(effe testen) www.linux-training.be

Goya said...

Als URL bij het ondertekenen bedoel ik, ik vul steeds mijn naam en URL in bij Name/URL ipv mijn Google account

Goya said...

En nu lukt het dus wel, gisteren niet.
Achja, er zijn ernstigere problemen :-)

Anonymous said...

You know you can use gpsbabel to merge tracks into a single file and to strip out noise you don't want to see in tracks? I also like to use viking to plot my tracks on a map. I'm still looking for a simple tool that can do this. viking is ... weird. (like: http://www.paeps.cx/~philip/wct_traces.png)

Blas said...

Hey Paul,

Great posting. Quite interesting.

I am just new to biking and I'm in "unknown lands" (I just moved to Taiwan). Do you happen to know if there's an app where you can download a map and trace a route on it and use it to get from place A to B, besides usign google maps and spending money everytime it gets online to get the data.

Paul Cobbaut said...

@Blas: sorry no idea